Mucocele of appendix in an elderly male from tuberculosis endemic region
A 55 year old gentleman with past history of pulmonary tuberculosis 6 years back presented with diffuse abdominal pain associated with fever, vomiting and a vaguely palpable mass in right iliac fossa. Ultrasonography showed distended ileal loops in the right lower quadrant of abdomen. CT scan abdomen revealed thickened, enlarged and fluid filled appendix suggestive of mucocele. Laparoscopy revealed approximately 22cm X 5cm mucocele of appendix with omental adhesions. Laparoscopic appendectomy was done, without any spillage of mucin in the peritoneum. The patient was discharged from the hospital on 3rd postoperative day and on ten months of follow up the patient is doing well. Laparoscopic appendectomy do not increase complication rate in mucocele of appendix.
2. Stocchi L, Wolff BG, Larson DR, Harrington JR. Surgical treatment of appendiceal mucocele. Arch Surg. 2003 Jun;138(6):585-9; discussion 589-90.
3. Lau H, Yuen WK, Loong F, Lee F. Laparoscopic resection of an appendiceal mucocele. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2002 Oct;12(5):367-70.
4. Soweid AM, Clarkston WK, Andrus CH, Janney CG. Diagnosis and management of appendiceal mucoceles. Dig Dis. 1998 May-Jun;16(3):183-6.
5. Skaane P, Ruud TE, Haffner J. Ultrasonographic features of mucocele of the appendix. J Clin Ultrasound. 1988 Oct;16(8):584-7.
6. Lien WC, Huang SP, Chi CL, Liu KL, Lin MT, Lai TI, Liu YP, Wang HP. Appendiceal outer diameter as an indicator for differentiating appendiceal mucocele
from appendicitis. Am J Emerg Med. 2006 Nov;24(7):801-5.
7. Zagrodnik DF 2nd, Rose DM. Mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix: diagnosis, surgical management, and follow-up. Curr Surg. 2003 MayJun;60(3):341-3
Copyright (c) 2016 Biomedical Review: Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences (JBAMS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.