Mother’s rights and the therapeutic abortion according to Islam
The holy religion of Islam cares about the human life and even accepts the sperm which is placed in the womb to be the beginning of human life. This research aimed to survey various causes of abortion and the Islamic point of view before and after the transmigration of the soul and the mothers rights in Islam.This study is a survey of the religious texts regarding the aims. There are related keywords such as Ethics, Religious, Abortion and Fatwa of the Islamic jurists. We used various databases and the websites of Muslim authorities (the section which responds to religious questions). According to the respected human soul from the perspective of the divine legislator, most of the fatwas of the Islamic jurists are based on the impermissibility of abortion before the transmigration of the soul which is only allowed by relying on the principles of hardship, urgency, contradiction, principle of defense; abortion in order to eliminate the lifethreatening health of the mother; and some other cases. After the soul is breathed into the fetus, some of the contemporary jurists (such as Ayatollah Khoei and Ayatollah Khameneyi) have allowed the abortion under circumstances where the life of the mother is solely dependent on the abortion. And in no other circumstances has the abortion, which has been permitted before the soul is breathed into the fetus, is permitted after the soul is breathed into the fetus by any other ancient or contemporary jurists.
Conclusion: Islam, a religion which is defined by strong principles, has faced the social dilemma which has allowed abortion before and after the transmigration of the soul (such as a threat against the mothers life or health), but it is against the unconditional permission of abortion.
2. Futterman D, Chabon B, Hoffman ND. HIV and AIDS in adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2000;47(1):171-88. Review.
3. Iacobelli S, Robillard PY, Gouyon JB, Hulsey TC, Barau G, Bonsante F. Obstetric and neonatal outcomes of adolescent primiparous singleton pregnancies: a
cohort study in the South of Reunion Island, Indian Ocean. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25(12): 2591-6.
4. Chinichian M, Holakouee Naini k, Rfayy shirpake K. Qualitative Study reasons for induced abortion in Iran. payash, 2007, 6 (3): 219-232 (Persian).
5. Behjati Ardakanic V, Sadeghi MR, sadegi MR, Sadri Ardakanic H. The need to consider different aspects of abortion in Iran. Journal of Fertility, 2005;6 (4) :299-
6. Shamshiri Milani H. [Health, it's dimensions and status of abortion related to health]. In: Comprehensive Study on Abortion in Iran; 2003 Feb 26-27; Kermanshah. Tehran: Avicenna Research Institute; 2003. p. 104. Persian.
7. International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF). Medical and service delivery guidelines for sexual and reproductive health services. 3rd ed. London: IPPF;
2004. p. 281.
8. Karimollahi M, Tazakori Z, Ehdaivand F, Amani F. Abortion related factors in Ardabil women, 2003: casecontrol study. The Second International Congress on Women’s Health. Bankok, Thailand. IWAC Jan 2010, 20-23.
9. Motavalli R, Alizadeh L, Namadi vosoughi M, Shahbazzadegan S. Evaluation of the Prevalence, Reasons and Consequences of Induced Abortion in Women of Ardabil in 2011. Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences. 2012;12(4): 384-391(persion).
10. Mehrgan AH. [Abortion and human rights in the outlook of international laws]. J Reprod Infertil. 2005;6(4):410-40. Persian.
11. Nikzad A, Jorsaraei G. Studying the abortion from religious jurisprudence perspective. Islam and health journal Babole university medical science.2014; 1 (1)
:29-37 ( in prison).
12. Khitamy BA. Divergent views on abortion and the period of ensoulment. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013 Feb;13(1):26-31.
14. The Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi' s Office website [Internet]. Qom: Imam Hossein's (a.s.) school. Abortion; [cited 2010 Aug 8]; [about 7 screens]. Available from: http://english.makarem. ir/estefta/?it =807& mit.
15. The Grand Ayatollah Hosseini Shahroudi' s office website [Internet]. Qom: Ayatollah Hosseini Shahroudi SM; [Estefta'at abortion]; [cited 2010 Aug 8]; [about 5
screens]. Available from: http: //www.shahroudi. com/Portal.aspx?pid=71243&Cult cure=Persian & Case ID=34314 & PageIndex=0 & Que. Persian.
16. The Official Website of Grand Ayatollah Sistani [Internet]. Qom: Grand Ayatollah Sistani. [Questions and Answers: abortion]; [cited 2010 Aug 8];[about 3 screens]. Available from:http://www.sistani.org/ local.php?modules=nav&nid=5&cid=91 Persian.
17. http://www.rafatinaeeni.com/Portal/ Cultcure/ Persian/CategoryID/14806/CaseID/94889/71243.aspx
18. Jalilian N, Deh Haghi AA, Jalilian N. [Abortion in view of the religions known in Iran constitution]. In: Comprehensive Study on Abortion in Iran; Kermanshah. Tehran: Avicenna Research Institute; 2003. p. 93. Persian.
19. Naini, M H, the benefits principle; Islamic Publications Office, Sixth Edition,1996 vol. 1, p. 317.
20. The Grand Ayatollah Imam khomeini' s officewebsite [Internet]. Tehran: Imam Khomeini Imam Khomeini R; [Estefta'at abortion]; [cited 2015 Aug 4]; [about 2 screens]. Available from: http://www.imamkhomeini.ir/fa/s12_45_59/%D8%AF %DB%8C%D8% A7%D8%AA/%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%AA%D9%81%D8%AA%D8%A7%D8%A6%D8%A7%D8%AA.
21. The Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Hosseini Khamenei ' s office website [Internet]. Tehran: Ayatollah Sayyid Hosseini Khamenei, A; [Estefta'at abortion]; [cited 2015 Aug 4]; [about 1 screen]. Available from: http://farsi.khamenei.ir/treatise-content?id=113
22.Gomshai A,the Holy Quran,surah 5 versa 9. 23. Alkhrazy, S M, reservation generation and Sterilizers . Journal of Islamic prophet (Arabic) "Fourth year,2001;15:71-94.
24. Jalilzadeh M, kalantary K. Emergency first-degree murder in the Shiite. Journal of Law and rights.2013; 9(3):147-64. ( in Persian).
25. Arabian, A., theory of self-defense in abortion, Journal of Research in Islamic law and jurisprudence. 2010; 3 (5) :113-137.( in persian).
26. http://portal.anhar.ir/node/4970/?ref=sbttl#gsc.tab=0 27. Gomshai A,the Holy Quran, surah 1 7 versa 31.
Copyright (c) 2016 Biomedical Review: Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences (JBAMS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.