Relationship Between Serum Uric acid and BMI in Pre Diabetics and Type II Diabetics in Rural Population – A Pilot Study
Background & Objectives: People with pre-diabetes may have impaired fasting glucose (IFG) or impaired glucose tolerance (IGT). Some people may have both IFG and IGT. Uric acid can act as a prooxidant and may be a marker of oxidative stress, but it may also have a therapeutic role as an antioxidant. Hyperuricemia has been found to be associated with obesity and insulin resistance.
Materials & Methods: The study was conducted in 100 male subjects in the age range 30-50 years. The questionnaire with questions on demographic data, seafood consumption, drinking and smoking information, personal and family history of diabetes and gout, previous history of hypertension, cardiovascular disease was taken. Height & Weight of the subjects was measured. BMI was then calculated. BP was recorded. Serum Uric acid was measured using Uricase-Trinder –Endpoint ; Erba Diagnostics ). For the diagnosis of pre diabetes the WHO (1999) criteria was used. In this study the enzymatic glucose oxidase - peroxidase (GOD – POD ; Erba Diagnostics) was used for estimation of blood glucose level.
Results: From the present hospital based cross sectional study, we observed a significant increase in the serum uric acid levels in prediabetics when compared with the control & non diabetic subjects.
Conclusion: Uric acid may perform the role of marker for deterioration of glucose metabolism. Pre-diabetics were at higher risk of developing uric acid related complications.
2. Victor W Rodwell et al. Metabolism nucleotides, In Harper`s illustrated biochemistry, 28th ed . Robert murray et al (eds.). New York, Mc Graw Hill, Lange publishers, 2009.
3. Sarahwild , Roglic G, Green A , Sicree R, King H . Global Prevalence of Diabetes Estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 2004 May ;
27(5) : 1047–1053.
4. International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes facts. Diabetes Atlas. 4th edition. 2009.
5. Shaw JE, Sicree RA, Zimmet PZ. Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2010 Jan;87(1):4-14. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2009.10.007. Epub 2009 Nov 6
6. Becker BF. Towards the physiological function of uric acid . Free Radic Biol Med. 1993 Jun;14(6):615-31.
7. Strazzullo P, Puig JG. Uric acid and oxidative stress: relative impact on cardiovascular risk? Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007 Jul;17(6):409-14.
8. Becker BF, Reinholz N, Leipert B, Raschke P, Permanetter B, Gerlach E. Role of uric acid as an endogenous radical scavenger and antioxidant. Chest 1991; 100 (3 suppl):176S -181S.
9. Strasak AM, Rapp K, Hilbe W, Oberaigner W, Ruttmann E, Concin H et al. The role of serum uric acid as an antioxidant protecting against cancer: prospective study in more than 28000 older Austrian women. Ann Oncol 2007; (18):1893 - 7.
10. Cutler RG. Urate and ascorbate: their possible roles as antioxidants in determining longevity of mammalian species. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 1984 Dec;3(4):321-48.
11. Hayden MR, Tyagi SC. Uric acid: a new look at an old risk marker for cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes mellitus: the urate redox shuttle. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2004 Oct 19;1(1):10.
12. Kanellis J, Kang DH. Uric acid as a mediator of endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, and vascular disease. Semin Nephrol. 2005 Jan;25(1):39-42.
13. Waring WS, McKnight JA, Webb DJ, Maxwell SR. Uric acid restores endothelial function in patients with type 1 diabetes and regular smokers. Diabetes. 2006 Nov;55(11):3127-32.
14. Gersch MS, Johnson RJ. Uric acid and the immune response. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. (2006) 21 (11): 3046-3047. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfl226.
15. Sung KC, Kim BJ, Kim BS, Kang JH, Lee MH, Park JR, et al. In normoglycemic Koreans, insulin resistance and adipocity are independently correlated with high blood pressure. Circ J. 2004 Oct;68(10):898-902.
16. Saggiani F, Pilati S, Targher G, Branzi P, Muggeo M, Bonora E. Serum uric acid and related factors in 500 hospitalized subjects. Metabolism. 1996 Dec;45(12):1557-61.
17. Klein R, Klein BE, Cornoni JC, Maready J, Cassel JC, Tyroler HA. Serum uric acid: Its relationship to coronary heart disease risk factors and cardiovascular isease in Evans County, Georgia. Arch Intern Med. 1973 Sep;132(3):401-10.
18. Kahn HA, Medalie JH, Neufeld HN, Riss E, Goldbourt U. The incidence of hypertension and associated factors: The Israel ischemic heart disease study. Am Heart J 1972; 84 (2) : 171- 182.
19. Selby JV, Friedman GD, Queensberry CP. Precursors of essential hypertension: Pulmonary function, heart rate, uric acid, serum cholesterol and other serum chemistries. Am J Epidemiol. 1990 Jun;131(6):1017-27.
20. Jossa F, Farinaro E, Panico S, Krogh V, Celentano E, Galasso R, et al. Serum uric acid and hypertension: The Olivetti heart study. J Hum Hypertens. 1994 Sep;8 (9) :677-81
21. Zavaroni I, Mazza S, Fantuzzi M, Dall’Aglio E, Bonora E, Delsignore R, et al. Changes in insulin and lipid metabolism in males with asymptomatic hyperuricaemia. J Intern Med. 1993 Jul;234(1):25-30 22. Vuorinen Markkola H, Yki Jarvinen H. Hyperuricemia and insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994 Jan;78(1):25-9.
23. Modan M, Halkin H, Karasik A, Lusky A. Elevated serum uric acid: A facet of hyperinsulinaemia. Diabetologia 1987 September ; 30(9) : 713 – 718.
24. Choi HK, Ford ES. Haemoglobin A1c, fasting glucose, serum C-peptide and insulin resistance in relation to serum uric acid levels—the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2008 May;47(5):713-7. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/ken066. Epub 2008 Apr 5.
25. Conen D, Wietlisbach V, Bovet P, Shamlaye C, Riesen W, Paccaud F, Burnier M: Prevalence of hyperuricemia and relation of serum uric acid with cardiovascular risk factors in a developing country. BMC Public Health. 2004; 4: 9. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-4-9
26. Bedir A, Topbas M, Tanyeri F, Alvur M, Arik N: Leptin might be a regulator of serum uric acid concentrations in humans. Jpn Heart J. 2003 Jul;44(4):527-36.
27. Sudhindra Rao M , Bino John Sahayo. A study of serum uric acid in diabetes mellitus and pre diabetes in a south Indian tertiary care hospital. NUJHS 2012June ;2(2): 18 - 23.
28. Sluijs I, Joline Beulens JW , Vander A DL, Spijkerman AM , SchulzeMB ,van der Schouw YT . Plasma Uric Acid Is Associated with Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Independent of Diet and Metabolic Risk Factors. J Nutr. 2013 Jan;143(1):80-5. doi: 10.3945/jn.112.167221. Epub 2012 Nov 21.
29. Sarwar N, Gao P, Seshasai SR, Gobin R, Kaptoge S, Di Angelantonio E et al. Diabetes mellitus, fasting blood glucose concentration, and risk of vascular disease: a collaborative meta-analysis of 102 prospective studies. Lancet. 2010 Jun 26;375(9733):2215-22. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60484-9.
30. Abdul-Ghani MA, Tripathy D, DeFronzo RA. Contributions of beta-cell dysfunction and insulin resistance to the pathogenesis of impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose. Diabetes Care. 2006 May;29(5):1130-9.
31. Vucak J , Katić M, Bielen I, Vrdoljak D , Lalić DI , Kranjčević K, Marković BB . Association between hyperuricemia, prediabetes, and prehypertension in the
Croatian adult population - a cross-sectional study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2012 Dec 4;12:117. doi: 10.1186/1471-2261-12-117.
32. Loachimescu AG, Brennan DM, Hoar BM, Hazen SL, Hoogwerf BJ: Serum uric acid is an independent predictor of all-cause mortality in patients at high risk of cardiovascular disease. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Feb;58(2):623-30. doi: 10.1002/art.23121.